Family & Social Child Developement
Tips for a great helper arrangement
Hiring a live in helper is a popular childcare option in Singapore. It is a very personal decision as you will be entrusting the helper with your little one. Here are some tips from other mothers to ensure you have a positive experience:
- Get your helper to join at least a few weeks before you are scheduled to go back to work. This will give the helper, baby and you sufficient time to ease into the new arrangement and get used to each other. You can also demonstrate the routine and how you'd like things done in your absence every day.
- Give enough room to the helper to try out new things- remember, the baby is growing as well and schedules around nap/ feeding are likely to change.
- Make sure helper is aware of the strict no-nos as well as the rationale (e.g. no screen time or no going out to anyone's home without permission). Set boundaries but don't kill with the regimen.
- About the Nanny cam-Some families install nanny-cams for peace of mind, yet others find it intrusive. This is your home and family, so you get to decide what works best for you! However, if you do choose to put a camera, make sure you disclose this to your helper.
- Nanny jealousy is a thing that strikes many mothers, but please remember, for the first few months of life, most babies just need a safe and secure environment where they are well fed, kept dry and have enough stimuli to learn. They will naturally be attached to the helper- this is actually a great sign and rest assured, when you come back from work- they will know who their mom is.
- Working mothers guilt is fairly common but in the bigger scheme of things, also fairly shortlived. No two days at work will be equal and while you may not be able to spend a better part of the day with your baby, you can still spend quality time with him/ her.
- Define and focus on the few things that matter - Whether its bath time, story time, or play time - ensure you spend that time with your baby every day. It will need some adjustments to your work/ social schedules but will be well worth it.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a online consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox