Family photoshoot Ideas for the Holiday Season!
The holidays are a time to get all the family together and rejoice. What better way to do that than plan for a family photoshoot
- one that captures the endearing quirks of your near and dear ones? Here are some ways to break free from the run-of-the-mill and make the coming holiday season truly unforgettable!
1. Babys Day In: Holiday season photo-sessions are often restricted to the picture-perfect family photo, taken against the backdrop of your Christmas tree. You need not limit yourself to official-looking portraits- you can make this moment stand out! If you have a baby in the family, opt for a baby photography session to make the day extra-memorable. Wrap up your baby in some gift-fluff or unveil the little one from inside a gift-box.
2. Gel in the Great Outdoors: Who said holidays are all about being cooped up in your homes? Family fun can be had as much outdoors as well, whether youre soaking in the splendour of the holiday lights and dcor on Orchard Road, having a full family picnic at Botanic Gardens, or escaping on a family vacation overseas! While you enjoy the outdoors, get some photos clicked with a far-away perspective. This works well especially for large families!
Credits: @natsukiphotography on Instagram
3. Close in on Candid Expressions: When we are with loved ones, we emote quite spontaneously. This can make for some lovable expressions which perfectly reflect the close nature of family bonds. Zoom in and capture those magical moments through candid photography, especially close-ups. Whether it is about kissing cute babies till they get squishy, or recording the lovable squabbling between siblings, opportunities are many! Candid photography is all about capturing natural emotions and expressions, and are sure to create some very real and relatable holiday memories.
4. Capture Adorable Actions: Holidays are all about doing things together. When planning a photo-session we often tend to capture static moments, but never our activities. A photo has the power to tell stories- stories of your life which you will look back upon fondly, stories about how you enjoyed with those who matter. Hence, make sure you capture those moments of actual actions, games, conversations, by focussing on the details. For example, instead of clicking the standard family portrait on the pool-side, get underwater with a waterproof camera and click sea-legs!
5. Forget the Faces for a While: Family love is expressed through so much more than just facial expressions. Hand gestures, touch, smiles, happy hands tell lovely tales about how families gel well together. Try to capture these interactions by focusing on hands and feet. To make it fun get people to form some interesting shapes such as hand-frames, linear arrangements and other geometric forms.
6. Highlight the Cheerful Accessories: Get creative in capturing your family moments. A great way to do this is to make use of your available holiday decorations. A bunting here, and a mistletoe there- see how you can use it to reflect your joy, quite literally. For example, buntings can be used for creating interesting reflections. Fairly lights can be twisted into various shapes like hearts, Christmas trees etc. to a festive cheer to your photos. It will also help you go down the memory lane, by reminiscing about how you celebrated the holidays that year!
7. Get Goofy: Family photo-sessions need not be an all serious affair, with stiff lips and noses put up for the perfect shot. After all, what is a family that does not let go of their apprehensions and get outright goofy at times? Make sure you have loads of fun, take a lead or two from kids and add a silly moment to your family photos as adults, too! That photo taken as Rudolf the Red Nose human with that red bunting might just be your laugh-buddy for years to come!
8. Frame the Family Forever: Make sure to include interesting props such as frames, mirrors, family photos etc. to add an endearing element to your photos. An elder generation holding the window to the younger generation can say a lot about the family!
Credit: Love me photography
Great moments spent together often create ample opportunities for great photos. Do think through and plan your family photo in advance to make sure you dont miss a special moment during your holidays.
Author By-line: Rhucha is a Mumbai-based writer and poet, travel entrepreneur, baby and maternity photographer and nature lover. She loves to freeze beautiful moments through her words and her lens, whether it is a wildlife expedition or a cute new born baby.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a online consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox