Conception Child growth
Pregnancy Child growth
First Year Child growth
Second Year Child growth
Third Year Child growth
Preschool & Above Child growth
Health & Wellness Child growth
Food & Nutrition Child growth
Family & Social Child growth
7 Tips for a Great Maternity Shoot by a Pro Photographer
Pregnancy is a beautiful journey you share with your little one, so don't miss capturing the unique bond as a mum-to-be with a maternity photo shoot. I've listed some top tips in planning your maternity photoshoot, but most importantly - don't be shy about your growing body. Flaunt those curves, put a smile on that glowing face, and be proud of the little human inside you.
Choose a photographer you are comfortable with:
- Ask the photographer for samples of previous work to get a sense of their style and work.
- If you have a theme or idea in mind, see how receptive the photographer is towards it. Or if you feel lost, ask them for ideas.
- See if the photographer shoots indoors or outdoors, check how many edited pictures you will get at the end and whether you get to pick the photos for edit, timing of the shoot, number of outfit changes, backdrop for studio shoots and finally, check if makeup and hair styling is included.
- See how pocket-friendly the photographer is. Compare prices using answers to the above from the photographer before you narrow down your choice.
- It's important that you trust the photographer to bring out the best in you. If you are camera shy, let the photographer know beforehand and he/she can guide you through the poses.
Choose a location wisely
- Outdoors, studio or at home - your decision will depend on your preferred style, poses or any theme you choose.
- Home is best for bold and intimate portraits, don't forget to pose in your nursery too!
- Studio works well for shots with props or shots that need light manipulation.
- Outdoors - this is my favourite. Choose a park, beach or a spot you and your partner love. I love using natural light, sunrises and sunsets for my pictures. Choose the timing of the shoot wisely for an outdoor shoot. Use what we call the "Golden Hour rule" for this - essentially an hour or so close to sunset / sunrise for the best lighting in your pictures.
- Ensure that the location isn't cluttered or has many distractions, at home or outdoors.
Grab a flattering outfit
- The shoot is all about you and your bump. Make sure you show it off with a flattering outfit.
- Choose solid colours or stripes - they bring out the bump very well.
- Wear comfortable shoes, ditch those heels - you will be on your feet for long!
- You could also use soft fabric to accentuate your bare bump!
- Dress for the location!
Get photographed with the right bump size
- Schedule your shoot between 25-30 weeks depending on your bump size. You might be too tired towards the end of the last trimester, so this is the best time to avoid fatigue and also the right bump size (not too big, not too small).
- It is always a good idea to take home pictures on your phone every month anyway to document your bump through the different months :)
Involve family members
- Bring on the romance, nothing more adorable than happy couple shots with the bump <3
- Involve your older child(ren) or pet(s) in the shoot, if you have any.
- Remember to coordinate your outfit colours! Here's a handy guide on colours, contrasts and patterns.
Spruce it up with props
- Use those cute baby onesies or shoes, first or latest ultrasound, black boards with messages or anything colourful to tell your special story.
- Plan your props in advance, especially if any of them are DIY. Discuss their usage with your photographer too.
- Don't be shy to tell your photographer what poses you like and show them pictures you like. (Don't expect the same, it just gives them an idea of what you like).
- Do your homework on Pinterest, doodle the poses if you like or even create a story with your pictures. Think of one picture you may want to recreate later with your newborn too!
- Enjoy the shoot, have fun and you'll be guaranteed flawless pics of the goddess in you!
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a online consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox