Bunk Bed Buying Guide
Bunk beds are great space saving solutions when you have more than one child. It adds adventure to your child's room and also helps develop a bond between siblings.
What to consider
- Depending on the space you have, you can choose a standard loft bed, twin over twin, twin over full, or full over full bunk bed, an L-shaped configuration or even triple bunk beds. Allow a difference of at least two feet from the ceiling to your bunk bed and 65-75 inches space between bunk beds so your child can sit up comfortably.
- Age of child:
- Twin over twin is great for two young kids, but if you expect to keep the bunk bed even as your child grows older, consider twin bunk beds which can be detached as regular beds. Also check the maximum weight that the upper bunk can carry.
- You can either go with pure wood, solid wood or metal, or use a combination of both. Solid wood like cherry wood or oak is much more durable than compressed versions, though the cost may be high. Metal tends to be less expensive but can become squeaky over time.
- Ladder Style:
- You can choose between a straight ladder, angled ladder or staircase. Stairs are both safer for younger children and can provide additional storage space. An angled ladder will protrude and take up the most space but makes climbing easier than a straight ladder.
- For smaller rooms, loft beds give the extra option of having a storage, desk or play area below the bed. Futon bunk beds double up both as sofa and a bed on the lower bunk. Bunk beds with a trundle bed are useful if your child has frequent sleepovers.
- Bunk beds should be equipped with safety features such as guard rails on both sides, especially in the upper bunks and headboards. Check that your child's limbs, arms or legs can't get trapped in the spaces between rails, headboard and footboards.
|Popular Brands||Amour||Big Furniture Factorie||Piccolo House||Ibenma Trading||IKEA||Picket and Rail|
|Model||Metal Bunk bed / Double Decker bed (Single Size + Queen Size)||BFF2380-DD Solid Wooden Bunk Bed||Emerson Bunk Bed Single-Over-Queen||M201S/L Modular Bunk Bed||NORDALL Bunk bed||Americana Single Bunk Bed|
|Type||Single over Queen with fixed ladder||Single bunk bed||Single over queen bunk bed||Single/super single over super single/queen bunk bed with detachable ladder options||Single bunk bed||Single bunk bed|
|Add-ons||N/A||Pull out bed can be added (cost with pull out bed is S$679).Detachable beds||Additional side hung shelves under the top bed for book storages;Choose between detachable staircase unit with draw-out drawers OR ladderSingle/super single trundle bed can be addedDetachable beds||Ladder can be installed from the left/right/front OR staircase can be installed on left/rightDetachable beds||Adjustable ladder mount Detachable beds||Trundle bed can be addedAvailable in choice of wood slats or fabric upholstered headboard/footboardOther variations such as Triple bunk bed with or without trundle are available|
|Material||Mild Steel Frame||Solid Para WoodSolid Plywood Matress Base||Solid Wood||100% Solid Finland Pine Wood||Solid Pine||Solid Grade 'A' Malaysian Oak wood|
|Dimensions||Upper Deck Size (up to 100 kg adult weight) L 203cm x W 93cm|
Lower Deck Size (up to 200 kg adult weight)
L 203cm x W 155cm
Overall Height : 178cm
|L202.2cm x W99.8cm x H174cm||L203 cm x W159 cm x H170 cm (excluding the stair unit)||L201 cm x W138 cm x H187.5cm||L 207.5 cm x W 95.5 cm x H 161 cm|
Max. thickness, mattress: 14 cm
| L210 x W105 x H172 cm|
|Price||SGD 350||SGD 550||SGD 1,789||Visit showroom||SGD 499||Visit showroom|
|Where to buy||Lazada||Lazada||Piccolo House||Ibenma||IKEA||City Square Mall Level 3 | HQ - 25 Tagore Lane Level 2|
- Upper bunks or loft beds are not suitable for children under six years of age, since they may be at a risk of injuries resulting from a fall.
- Educate your child about the safety rules while using the bunk bed like having only one person on the upper bunk at a time.
- Ensure there are no sharp edges, and do not screw hooks or handles onto the bed or hang ropes or belts in which children can get caught when playing.
- Measure your furniture space including additonal space it will occupy for add-ons such as pull-out beds or stairs.
- Make sure there are no wall and decor arrangements near the upper bunk such as ceiling fans and hanging lamps.
- Use night-lights to help children see the ladder. At least once a year, check the screws in bunkbeds to ensure they are firmly in place.
- Guard rails must be fixed on both ends to ensure maximum strength and no rail movement.
- The upper mattress should not exceed 8 inches thick including the mattress surface and foundation combined and should be at least 5 inches below the upper edge of the guard rails. Also ensure the mattress fits snugly in the bunk.
- Foam mattresses are the safest option for bunk beds as they don't encourage jumping.
- If you buy both bed frame and mattress from one manufacturer, the total package will be much cheaper.
- Stains used on guard rails should be non-toxic.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a FREE consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox