Baby Bath Gel Buying Guide
Babies need a bath gel which cleans and moisturizes their extremely sensitive skin, preventing dryness and discomfort.
What to consider
Decoding the Product Label
- Tear Free: Tear-free means that the bath gel will not cause tears or irritation if it gets in your baby's eyes. If you are buying a 2-in-1 soap that you plan to use as a shampoo, make sure it is tear-free.
- Fragrance Free: Some babies are sensitive to the smell of certain bath gels or the chemicals used to create a fragrance. Opt for fragrance free bath gels if your baby has sensitive skin.
- Hypoallergenic: If your baby has dry or sensitive skin, hypoallergenic bath gels are ideal. Their gentle formulation reduces irritation and discomfort.
- Sulfates (SLS, SLES): Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are approved for use, but some parents believe they have adverse health effects and prefer more natural products. According to the American Cancer Association, there is no evidence of SLS/SLES being a carcinogen.
- Paraben-free: Parabens artificial preservative. which contain properties similar to the female hormone estrogen. Although some issues have been found on animals, parabens have not been known to affect humans.
- Phthalate-free: Pthlates are often listed as a fragrance. Although no evidence pointing to adverse health risks have been found, some medical experts are skeptical of the safety of phthalates in infant toiletries.
- Organic: Organic washes are formulated from natural ingredients as opposed to synthetic ones, making it less irritating for your baby's sensitive skin.
- DEA: Cocamide DEA is a chemically modified version of coconut oil used to thicken and cause foaming in products. Although studies have found a link between DEA and cancer in certain animals, DEA is approved for use in human toiletries.
|Popular brands||Cetaphil||Johnson & Johnson||Kodomo||Pigeon||Burts Bees Baby||Cetaphil||Mustela||Aveeno||California Baby|
|Model||Cetaphil Baby Gentle Wash & Shampoo||Baby Top to Toe||Kodomo Baby Bath — Mild And Natural||Pigeon Baby Wash 2-in-1||Baby Bee Tear Free Shampoo & Wash||Skin Restoring Body Wash for Eczema||Dermo-Pediatrics Stelatopia Cream Cleanser||Baby Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash||Therapeutic Relief Eczema Shampoo & Body Wash|
|Eczema Friendly||No||No||No||No||No||National Eczema Association 4/5.||National Eczema Association 5/5||National Eczema Association 4/5||Yes|
|Features||pH balanced, soap free, enriched with glycerin and panthenol||Soap-free, dye free||pH balanced, soap free||Enriched with sakura, pH balanced||99.9% natural ingredients, pH balanced, enriched with aloe and oat flour||pH balanced, soap free, enriched with glycerin and panthenol||Enriched with avocado pereose, glycerin||Collodial oats soothe irritated skin. Dye-free.||Colloidal oatmeal, organically processed reduced eczema and inflation. Dye free.|
|Price||12.9 (230mL)||6.9 (500mL)||7.5 (1L)||18.90 (1L)||11.90 (236ml)||29.90 (295ml)||38.5 (200ml)||15.18 (236ml)||68.9 (560ml)|
|Where to buy||Guardian||Redmart||Redmart||Redmart||Pupsik||Guardian||Pupsik||iHerb||Pupsik|
- If your baby develops a rash or skin irritation, switch to a more gentle soap or consult a paediatrician.
- Do not add cleansers directly in the bathwater, only use them on your baby's skin.
- Always make sure your baby's head is above water while bathing.
- Babies should be bathed often due to hot and humid weather in Singapore. On rainy days, "top & tail" your baby by using a sponge to rinse their face and wash their bum during nappy changes.
- Never leave your baby unattended in a bath, and keep bathing products out of reach.
- Your baby can have their first bath a few days after coming home from the hospital, provided they are full-term.
- Babies should be bathed in a special tub to prevent drowning and make bathtime easier.
- Bathe your baby in the morning or evening. Many parents find that nighttime baths are relaxing and lead to better sleep.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a FREE consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox