Formula Milk Buying Guide
Formula milk can be used to supplement a baby's diet after the recommended length of at least 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding. In this guide, we feature Stage 2 Formula milk.
What to Consider
Mixable powders require preparation but are cheaper and easier to store than ready-to-use packets. Choose a combination of types of formula milk depending on your needs.
Most formula is made from cow's milk, but based on allergies and specific needs, other formulas can be purchased. Hydrolyzed formula is already broken down for easier digestion. Hypoallergenic milk is also available. Some parents also prefer goat milk and organic milk. Consult a doctor to determine which variety is best for your baby.
Baby's age and "stage"
Each formula is specifically designed to meet the protein requirements of your baby at a particular stage. Stage 1 is for newborn babies up to one year of age. Stage 2 milk is for babies 6 months and older. Stages 3 and beyond, while not required, can provide nutrients for toddlers. As your baby grows, switch between these different stages. All brands carry stage 1-3.
Formulas are enhanced with various nutrients in order to nourish babies. All formulas legally sold in Singapore have been government-approved. Look for a formula with Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), arachidonic acid (ARA), pre- and pro-biotics.
Babies have their own taste preferences which are a major factor in choice of breast milk. If your baby doesn't finish the milk or becomes fussy, it's likely because they do not like the taste. Before you buy a large tin, give your baby a sample of the formula to make sure they like the taste.
|Popular brands||Nestlé Nan||Enfamil||Similac||Wyeth S-26||Dumex||Friso||Bellamy||Karihome|
|Model||Optipro Stage 2||Enfamil A+ Stage 2||Similac Follow On||S-26 Promil Gold||Mamil Gold Stage 2||Friso Gold First Steps||Bellamy Step 2 Organic Follow-On Formula||Goat Milk Follow-On Formula|
|Types||Powder||Powder & Ready-to-use||Powder||Powder||Powder||Powder||Powder||Powder|
|Contents||Probiotics, Lipid Blend (including DHA, ARA), Iron & Zinc, No added sugar/sucrose||Prebiotic (GOS, polydextrose), DHA, ARA, choline||DHA, Lutein, ARA, calcium, no palm oil, prebiotics, antioxidants, nucleotides, choline, taurine||Prebiotic, sugar/sucrose free, taurine, choline, selenium, nucleotides||Prebiotics, DHA, ARA, Taurine, Choline, Iron, Calcium, Nucleotides||Prebiotics, probiotics, DHA, ARA, antioxidants, Vitamins A, C, E||26 essential vitamins and minerals||Taurine, choline, Omega 3 & 6, Iron, Vitamin A, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Nucleotides, Vitamin D3 & K|
|Protein base varieties||Regular (cow's milk blend).|
Hypoallergenic (Partially hydrolyzed)
|Regular (cow's milk blend).|
Gentle (partially hydrolyzed, low-lactose).
|Regular (cow's milk protein blend)|
Organic (USDA organic ingredients)
Comfort (partially hydrolyzed, low lactose)
Soy "Isomil" (soy protein, no milk or lactose)
|Cow's milk blend||Regular (cow's milk blend)|
Hypoallergenic (partially hydrolyzed, whey protien)
Soy (free of lactose, sucrose, cow-milk)
Dupro Sucrose Free
|Cow's milk blend||Organic cow's milk (NASAA certified)||Goat milk blend|
|Price||5.95 per 100g||7.03 per 100g||6.41 per 100g||5.96 per 100g||5.64 per 100g||6.11 per 100g||6.1 per 100g||6.67 per 100g|
|Where to buy||Cold Storage||FairPrice||Giant||Fairprice||Cold Storage||Guardian||Fairprice||Agape Babies|
- Sterilize bottles/equipment, wash hands, and boil water used to mix the formula to ensure bacteria are killed.
- Check your baby's stool for consistency (watery/hard) and signs of rash to determine if the formula is right for the baby. Different babies respond differently to formulas, consult a doctor if any problems arise.
- After one year, babies can slowly begin the transition to drinking regular cow's milk.
If your baby doesn’t finish the formula you can store it at room temperature no more than 2 hours.
- You can order free sample's from the brand's website and test these out prior to buying an entire can of formula
- For on-the-go feeding, buy formula dispensers from Philips Avent, Munchkin, or Dr. Brown instead of carrying the whole can
- When switching between breastmilk and formula and different formula brands, do so gradually to help the baby acclimatize.
- According to the FDA, do not freeze formula as it results in separation. Instead, store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- If your baby doesn't drink much of the formula or gets hungry very often, this could indicate the formula is not right for your baby. You can request free samples to see if your baby likes the taste.
- Warming milk in the microwave often results in uneven heating, instead, place the bottle inside a pot of hot water to heat. Test the temperature after by sprinkling some drops onto the most sensitive part of your arm (like your wrist).
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a online consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox