Baby Sling Carrier Buying Guide
Baby sling carriers are perfect for keeping newborns close to you while allowing your hands to be free. Unlike other carrier styles, slings allow for easy breastfeeding and support the babies' head and neck.
What to consider
Size and Suitability
Most slings are one-size-fits all and carry babies of 1 year or less. (except Wraps which come in larger sizes can kids weighing upto 20kg). If you and your partner both intend on using the sling carrier, choose a sling that fits you both. After your baby is able to support their head fully and weighs around 10kg, consider the switch to a soft-structured carrier.
Shoulder padding can be more comfortable for moms and babies, but it can make baby slings more bulky/hard to transport.
Choose from the style that meets your needs and feels the most comfortable:
- Buckle-on slings wrap around the neck and are fastened by a buckle. Ideal for newborn babies and easy for first-time parents to put on and remove
- Pouch also ideal for younger and newborn babies, they are made from stretchy material which can be wrapped around.
- Ring slings have to be wrapped in a certain fashion and can be hard to get the hang of, but can hold babies for up to 2 years as they are size adjustable.
- Wraps can hold babies on the side, front, and back and have to be tied on.
Breathable, temperate, and easy-to-clean fabrics are a must. Choose a lightweight fabric like cotton or hotter climates and easy washing.
Pouches and buckle-ons are less adjustable, but easier to operate. Ring slings are adjustable, but tend to strain shoulders after a few hours. Wrap slings are the most versatile, allowing you to wear your sling around your back, waist, and neck for a longer period of time
|Popular brands||Pupsik||The Birth Shop / Moms in Mind||BabaSling||Tula||Didymos||Maya||Maya|
|Model||Pupsik Adjustable Sling||Basic Cotton Sling Carrier||The BabaSling Classic||Tula Ring Sling||Didymos Ring Sling||Maya Lightly Padded Sling||Maya Premium WovenWrap - Uncaged|
|Padding||Padded shoulder and pocket||None||Padded shoulder and pocket||None||None||Lightly padded and not padded versions available||None|
|Style||Buckle-on & Pouch||Ring||Buckle-on||Ring||Ring & wrap||Ring||Wrap|
|Adjustable||Buckle on with additional safety strap. Adjustable shoulder strap for 4 positions, including breastfeeding. Stretchable pouch without buckle also available.||Adjustable with rings for 6 carrying positions||Buckle on with additional safety buckle. Adjustable shoulder straps for 5 carrying positions and 2 breastfeeding positions.||Adjustable with rings||Adjustable with rings. Longer non-ring wrap style also available, adjustable in up to 11 styles depending on size.||Adjustable ring style can be worn as side carrier.||Adjustable - can be worn as side, front, or back carrier.|
|Fabric||Cotton, lightweight with stretch. Machine wash.||Cotton and silk versions, nylon rings||100% cotton, machine washable||100% cotton woven fabric with aluminium rings, machine washable||100% woven organic cotton, machine washable, aluminium rings||100% hand-loomed cotton, aluminium ring, handwash||100% merino wool weft, 100% cotton warp, hand wash only|
|Size (baby weight)||Pouch available in S-XL sizes, padded shoulder is one size fits all (3.5-16kg)||One size fits all (0-18kg)||One size fits all (3.6–15.9kg)||S/M & L/XL sizes (3.6–15.9kg)||Ring style is one size fits all, pleated or non-pleated. Wrap style sizes 2-8, from 270-570cm.||S, M, L, XL sizes (3.6-15.9kg)||Sizes 3-7, 360-573cm (3.6-20.4kg)|
|Price (in SGD)||69.90||58 (basic cotton), 62 (deluxe cotton), 68 (silk)||160||199||142||228.81||250.00|
|Where to buy||Pupsik||The Birth Shop||Lazada||Baby Carriers Singapore||Didymos||Qoo10||Mayawrap|
- Babies who are premature, of a low-birth weight, or have breathing problems are not recommended to use slings. Make sure your baby can support their head up before you put them in a sling. Babies should not be in a curled position and must always have their head out to prevent suffocation.
- Make sure babies legs are in the M position - ankles should be higher than their bottom, feet should be lower than their bottom. If the carrier forces babies to hang by their crotch area, it can be detrimental for the baby's growth.
- TICKS rule for safe babywearing:
T - tight, sling should hug your baby close to you without any slump
I - in view, your baby should always be visible and facing upwards
C - as close to your chin as possible, can kiss by tilting head down
K - keep chin off chest, baby's chin should be at least 1 finger length away from chest to ensure open airways
S -supported back, the baby's back should always be upright and supported
- Practice tying and removing slings in front of mirrors and on a bed or a couch until you are confident
- If you or your baby is getting too hot, readjust your sling such that fewer layers are covering the baby or buy a lighter material.
Babies can be held horizontally and craddled while nursing, then returned to an upright position with back support after.
- Check for fabric and seams thinning or wearing over time.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a FREE consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox