Reusable Diaper Buying Guide
Cloth diapers are a great solution for environmentally friendly and cost-effective diaper changes.
What to consider
- All In one: Waterproof outer-layer and sewn in absorber.
- Pocket: Waterproof outer-layer and pocket for absorber (can insert cloth absorbers, and sometimes disposable absorbers).
- Pre-fold: Divided into sections of varying thickness and fastened with safety pins/velcro. Does not have a waterproof outer layer and is often used with diaper cover.
"Snap" closure systems with buttons are the most common and adjustable, as your baby grows you use the wider buttons. Velcro closure systems are easier to use, but tend to wear out faster. Pre-folded diapers require fasteners (pins, T-shaped fasteners).
Liner Insert Needed
Pocket diapers typically require an absorbent layer to be placed inside the pocket. This layer can either be from an absorbent, washable cloth or a disposable insert. Cloth absorbers are typically sold with the diaper while disposable inserts are sold separately.
Prefold diapers are best for newborn babies as they require more frequent diaper changes and less absorbency. Pocket diapers are better for older babies who require fewer changes and more absorbency.
Pocket and all in one diapers come with a waterproof shell to prevent leaks. If you are using a pre-fold cloth diaper, invest in a waterproof diaper cover to prevent leaks.
|Popular brands||Charlie Banana||Bambino Mio||Rumparooz (KangaCare)||Moo Moo Kow||Bumwear||Grovia|
|Model||Reusable One Size Diaper||Miosolo Nature Calls||G2 Cloth Diapers||One size snap cloth diaper||Colored cloth diaper||All in one Diaper|
|Type||All-in-one||Prefold (Pocket also available)||All-in-one (Hybrid also available)|
|Liner Insert Needed||Yes. Washable or disposable.||No. Built in||Yes. Washable Rumparooz insert only||Yes. Washable or disposable.||No||All-in-one (Hybrid also available)|
|Closure system||Snap (buttons)||Velcro||Snap (buttons)||Velcro||Fastener needed||Snap (buttons)|
|Material||100% Polyester inside, Polyurethane backing||100% Polyester inside, Polyurethane backing||Biodegradable TPU||Polyurethane laminated fabric||Cotton||100% organic cotton inner, TPU outer|
|Size||One size fits all||One size fits all||One size fits all, newborn "Little Joey" size||Small, Medium Short, Medium, Large||Newborn, infant, premium||One size fits all, Newborn|
|Weight||3-16kg||4kg +||3-16kg (newborn: 2-5kg)||3-18kg||Not specified||4.5-16kg (newborn: 2.3-5.4kg)|
|Price (in SGD) per diaper||41.9 per diaper||52 per diaper||44.9 per diaper||30 per diaper||3.3 per diaper||25.9 per diaper|
|Where to buy||Mothercare||Fishpond||Pupsik||Pupsik||Bumwear||Baby Slings and Carriers|
- Test out your cloth diaper before you invest in multiple ones, cloth diapers can sometimes make babies uncomfortable or cause rashes.
- If you are using a pocket cloth diaper, make sure to buy liners to insert into the pocket. You can buy nondisposable cloth liners or disposable ones. Cloth liners are usually sold alongside cloth diapers, produced by the same company to ensure they fit.
- With pocket diapers, you can customize your absorbency by putting in more than one insert. Layering inserts is useful for the nighttime, and can prevent leakage.
- The number of diapers varies depending on how old your baby is and how often you plan to wash them. As babies grow older, they require fewer diapers. (Prefold cloth diaper = 20-30. All-in-one or pocket style diapers = 10-20).
- Wash new cloth diapers 1-3 times before use, until they are clean and fluffy, to ensure maximum absorbency.
- If you are using a pre-fold cloth diaper consider buying a t-shaped fastener as they hook on easily and allow faster changes than with safety pins (i.e. Snappi).
- Purchase a wetbag to put soiled diapers if you are on-the-go with your baby
- Rinse your diapers and remove all solids prior to wash. When washing cloth diapers, do not use fabric softener and bleach as it will make them less absorbent. Make sure to separate the diaper and liner insert. Line dry or dry on low-heat.
Loved this article?
Still got questions?
We're here to help! Book a FREE consultation with our Experts
Join 1 Million+ families who
love KinderPass 🎉
Get a personalized daily curriculum of over 1200 skill building activities
Book live consultations with child experts
Track growth, development milestones and identify red flags
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive weekly advice and guidance on child development in your inbox